Buns topped with perfection! Sorry, if that doesn't sound totally appropriate but we just can't help ourselves with this recipe. First, there's the tender pulled chicken that's been marinated in our very own Kansas City style, Sweet Hickory BBQ Sauce. Then there's the freshly shredded purple cabbage and carrots that give it a unique crunch you won't want to stop hearing after you've taken your first bite. If you're looking to add some heat, try marinating the veggies with our Spicy Original to give the sandwich an extra kick in the buns.
PREP — 20 Minutes
COOK — 1 Hour 30 Minutes
TOTAL — 1 Hour 50 Minutes
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp Schultz's Gourmet Premium Seasoning and Rub
- 1 cup Schultz's Gourmet Sweet Hickory BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp celery seed
- Salt and pepper to taste
OPTIONAL: 1 tbsp Schultz's Gourmet Spicy Original Cooking Hot Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 325°F
2. In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp cooking oil of choice
3. Rub chicken breasts with seasoning. Add to pot and pour Schultz's Sweet Hickory BBQ Sauce over the top.
4. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat, cover and place in oven for about 90 minutes (or until chicken is completely tender)
5. While chicken is cooking, add shredded purple cabbage, carrot, mayo, white wine vinegar, salt, pepper, celery seed and Schultz's Spicy Original (optional) to a large bowl. Stir well to coat evenly. Cover and let sit to soak up flavors while chicken cooks.
6. When chicken is finished, remove chicken breasts from pot using tongs and put in large bowl or on cutting board. Using two large forks, shred the meat.
7. Return chicken to pot and stir to coat evenly with sauce.
8. Serve on bun of choice and enjoy!